#130 British Mandate for Israel/Palestine
#130 British Mandate for Israel/Palestine 1923
In this lesson you will learn about the international effort in the 1920’s and 1930’s that led to the official start of the State of Israel (May 14, 1948). You will learn about The Balfour Declaration, The League of Nations, The World Zionist Organization, and the Mandate for Israel/Palestine which eventually led to the creation of the State of Israel.
#1 KNOW THIS: Important and Historic steps
Balfour Declaration was drafted in 1917 by the Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom, Arthur James Balfour. It was a letter sent to Lord Baron Rothschild, one of the most well known Jewish people in the world.
League of Nations started on January 10, 1920 at the Paris Conference and created the Peace Treaty that ended WWI
Led by Theodor Herzl, The World Zionist Organization (WZO) met for the first time on August 29, 1897 in Basel Switzerland.
The British Mandate for Israel/Palestine was a series of international agreements from 1920 to 1923 that led to British rule and governance in Palestine from 1923 to 1948.
His Majesty’s government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, and will use their best endeavours to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country.
After World War I, the League of Nations was established to help prevent war and to keep peace around the world. The 42 founding countries include:
#4. The World Zionist Organization (WZO)
“Zionism aims at establishing for the Jewish people a legally assured home in Palestine. For the attainment of this purpose, the Congress considers the following means serviceable:
- (1) the promotion of the settlement of Jewish agriculturists [farmers], artisans, and tradesmen in Palestine;
- (2) the federation [unified organisation] of all Jews into local or general groups, according to the laws of the various countries;
- (3) the strengthening of the Jewish feeling and consciousness [national sentiment and national consciousness];
- (4) preparatory steps for the attainment of those governmental grants which are necessary to the achievement of the Zionist purpose.”
#5 The British Mandate for Israel/Palestine
#6 WATCH – An Introduction to the League of Nations
#7 WATCH – What is Zionism?
#8 RESPOND AND REACT
1. When and where did the World Zionist Organization meet for the first time?
2. Who was the leader of the World Zionist Organization?
3. What was the purpose of the WZO?
4. What was the Balfour Declaration?
5. What was the League of Nations?
6. In what year did the League of Nations begin the Mandate for Palestine?
7. In what year did the Mandate for Palestine take affect?
Need some help? We’re here for you. At any time, if you have any questions, please contact one of our teachers so we can help you. Also, at the end of the session, remember to review your responses in your Tamid Workbook so you can get credit for this lesson. Behatzlacha (Hebrew for good luck)! You can reach us at (646)360-0689 or email@example.com